The World Declaration on the Rights of Animals is based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 10, 1948, and aims at ending the exploitation and killing of animals. International Animal Rights Day was founded in 1998 — the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Human Rights. We bet, this would be a starting point for your essay on animal rights, and it is truly a good place to start. However, you need to proceed with your essay, which means you need much more valid information on the topic. Let’s get to know more about animal rights and how you can cover them in your essay.
Choose a Topic and Formulate a Thesis Statement
“Animal rights” is not a topic itself, it is just a sphere, a general field, and you need to choose a topic within this field. Even if your assignment says “an essay on animal rights” you have to make it more extended and more focused at the same time. For example:
- Animal Rights: Chronology from 1998 to 2019
- Animal Rights: How Psychiatrists explain Cruelty to living creatures
- Animal Rights: Emotional intelligence as a reason for better treatment, etc.
You should not just write about rights in general. First of all, it will be boring, second, you will get stuck trying to do a research. Too broad topic creates a real problem with the overwhelming amount of sources, which you can’t structure and analyze in the given time. So, limit your research with your topic. Once you are done with a preliminary research formulate a thesis statement.
Here are some characteristics of the thesis statement you should not forget about:
- It should be not longer than two sentences, better one sentence;
- Passive voice should be used cautiously;
- Thesis statement should be related to the actual problem, some discussable issue. No obvious statements like “Many people fight for animal rights,” or even “Animal rights are important.”
- Thesis statement should be a logical part of the Introduction paragraph in your essay;
- It is good when your thesis statement has limitations or objections in it. It shows that you’ve truly analyzed the given topic. For example: “Though many scientists claim that animals should be assessed only based on their set of skills and ability to adapt to changes, it is right to argue that it should be assessed only along with the emotionally intelligent of the species” or “Despite the fact that stray animals are considered dangerous to people, dog-hunters should be punished at the state level.”
Your thesis statement requires attention, because basically it gives you the whole plan of action. once you formulate a thesis statement, it will be much easier to write your paper for you.
Dig for “Personal” Stories
The vocabulary of gorilla gestures called Koko is 500 words. Parrot Alex knows the names of more than one hundred different items, distinguishes between seven colors and five varieties of form. In addition, Alex can count to six and speaks meaningful phrases. Gorilla Michael likes to listen to Luciano Pavarotti and refuses to go for a walk when his concert is broadcast on TV. Dolphin Hoku grieved after the death of his fellow dolphin Kiko. Chimpanzee Flint died of a broken heart when his mother was buried.
The above facts, testifying to the high level of emotional and intellectual development in animals, make an impression even on an amateur, but among scientists, they still have not received a response. From the traditionally scientific point of view, the mind and feelings of animals are not observable, and therefore their existence is incredible. The attribution of human properties to animals is a manifestation of anthropomorphism. To name animals as people by name is unscientific. Thus, the above cases from the life of animals, at best, can be regarded simply as an anecdote by scientists.
No New Information In the Conclusion
It is a widespread mistake and it really ruins a logical structure of the essay. The thing is, conclusion only presents what you’ve written before. In the conclusion you can repeat a thesis statement, and several arguments you used to prove it. Also, you can add some limitations to your study, it always looks professional.