Are you ready for another new DIY project with brown paper? If you want to make a little change in your home, without huge investment you will absolutely love it. It is about your old floor and if you want to replace it now, consider this idea, if to re-carpet, or use hardwood or tile sounds pretty expensive. Hopefully, this will help you to create your own new floor in your house! And by the way, this will enhance the look of your home! It is maybe time consuming, but it is absolutely worth every second you will spend for creating it! There is nothing you can lose. Just try and you won’t be sorry. Paper bag flooring sounds a bit odd? You will be surprised by the final result! Of course, in a positive way!
- First of all, prepare your floor. That may involve even removing the carpet, sand down any high spots, fill any deep nail holes, hammered in any loose nails, and fill any gaps between boards. When it’s set, sand the filler down flush with the floor. You want your floor to be perfectly smooth, flat and even.
- You’re ready for the paper now. Start ripping the paper in pieces with straight edges. The pieces do not have to match perfectly. As you tear, crumple the pieces into balls then flatten them out and do this with all the paper you will be using. This will help to make the paper softer, and this way it will be easier for gluing it. Also, this will give to your floor an interesting textured look.
- Next, mix up your glue. Don’t mix a lot at a time because you may need to stop or take a break, and you won’t want the glue to dry up and go to waste.
- Now you’re ready to start! Put some glue on the paper and on the floor as well, and glue the pieces on the floor one by one. Don’t be afraid to brush glue mix on top of the pieces to help them lay flat and remove any huge wrinkles.
- This is how the floor looks like after all the pieces of paper are used, and all the floor is covered with them. But you haven’t finished yet!
- Now, it’s time to stain. This step is not obligatory. But I will recommend it because after this the floor will look fresh, and more natural. Use a long mop to apply the stain. Just plan where you will start and where you will end. You really, really need to let it dry as long as possible, as long as needed.
- After the stain dried completely, you move to the next step. This would be to add polyurethane. To do this you can also use a mop.
- After the first layer of poly dries, you can add as many layers of poly as you like, until you are happy with the final look. It will be new, wonderful and shiny. You will definitely love it!